Friday 4 October 2013

Post Seven - Twelve-bar shuffle

Twelve Bar

The twelve bar sequence can be played using major and minor chords. It has a number of variations.

If each chord represents a bar it could be written:
I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V
Twelve bars in all.
In the key of C. I=C, IV=F and V=G

Other variations:
I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I

Adding the other chords of the key

Rhythm exercises in the key of C. These are chords that work together. Get a fell for the combination and practice changing from one to the other.

Am G F Em
Em G Am C
G C Dm C
Am Em Dm Em
Am Dm Em7 Am
Am G Am
C Em F G
Am C D F x2 G
C Am F G

Turn-arounds



C Am F G (g.a.b) repeat



Twelve-bar shuffle

Twelve bar shuffle is a rhythm used in the twelve bar sequence, and can be played in a number of ways. The triangular note is added after the first two notes are sounded and is played with the root note.


Once the rhythm is established, try using it in a bar position



The arrows above the extended note are the alternate position to use for variation.
Watch the video link below to see a demonstration.


No comments:

Post a Comment